Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Joy...

So tonight we went to a town hall meeting with our representative Jason Chaffetz. He is a rock star. There was some lively discussion, but for the most part, we are in Provo, Utah-there wasn't a whole lot of opposing ideas presented.



Over 700 people attended with overflow in the lobby...

But my favorite part of the night happened without a whole lot fanfare. We sat next to an older couple who had decided, that in their golden years, they were going to be activists- defending and supporting the constitution. They were attending all the rallies, tea parties, and town hall meetings that they could. They brought a flag to hang in front of our balcony seats that said-" Family, God, Country- Forever. "As we talked, they shared that they had been to a Common Sense rally on Saturday, at the steps of the courthouse in Provo. Their picture was featured in the Sunday paper. Earlier that day I had been at my sister's and grabbed 5 Sunday papers that had been saved for me (think coupon addiction). I threw them in the trunk of my car and forgot about them. Remembering these, I asked the couple if they had bought any extra copies. They said no and that they regretted it because they wanted to send copies to their family. I told them I had some in my car and if they wanted them, we could get them after the meeting. They were so excited and said "thank you, thank you". When it was over, they waited for us on a bench while we walked the distance to our car. As we walked, I pondered the unlikelihood of this coincidence: that I would happen upon the newspapers today, that I would put and leave them in the trunk of my car, and then sit by the couple who was featured in the front page story. When I voiced this to my husband, he said, "I don't really see any eternal significance in that." But when I handed over the papers to this woman, and she gave me a hug and kiss and said "you have made our day", I knew that even though some things seem unimportant to us, Heavenly Father sends little blessings of happiness- to remind us He is there, He knows us, and He wants us to feel joy.

I felt it tonight.


Their picture in the Daily Herald ...
Oh by the way, their oldest daughter? Her name is Brenda.