Sunday, October 17, 2010

Why I love Michaela

     The other day Michaela got a text to be in a commercial...it was an advertisement for a new slide at Seven-Peaks. They wanted a bunch of kids to show up on Friday afternoon for the filming. The closing line of the text was something like, "if you look good in a bathing suit, come on down and join us!" Now, the mother of Michaela Labit (me) would have been totally shut down by this requirement, at age 16, 25 or 45. Not only have I never assumed that I looked good in a bathing suit, but by showing up I would have been announcing to others that  I thought I looked good in a bathing suit. It would have been quite an ordeal for me. But what I have always loved about Michaela is that she is so comfortable with who she is. Her decisions are rarely based on what other people think. She makes choices that seem so brave to me, but are so natural for her. For example, she tries out every year for the school musical--has never made it in, but faithfully goes for it each year. I love that. I am more proud of her for continuing to try, than I would be if she ever made it in.

     Needless to say, Michaela was on location Friday, filming that commercial...and though yes, she does look good in a bathing suit :), there is much more to be impressed with. I only hope that some day I can be just like her.