Wednesday, November 24, 2010

5 things I am really, truly, grateful for.

Every Thanksgiving I toss around in my mind the lists of things I am grateful for, and they are many. This year, my gratitude feels a little deeper for many reasons but here is my list of top 5.

1. Ever since one humbling, emotional college crisis I have known, felt, and understood that God knows me. I have not doubted it since, and many times over in the following years, He allows me to feel His love as often and as powerfully as I need to. And I need to. I am so grateful to know that I am His.

2. 18 years ago, I made the frightening decision to marry Michael. Even though I felt that it was the right decision, I was scared of the commitment and told myself right up to the day we were married that I could back out if I wanted to. I didn't. He has been the level-headed complement to a woman who runs on stress. He is  kind, thoughtful, and still makes me laugh after all of these years. He has matured into a man who thinks deeply and serves the Lord with much sacrifice. I am grateful for my husband.

3. I never wanted to raise teenagers. I was certain that the Lord's second coming would happen before I had to face that challenge. I was wrong. Here I am on the brink of having 3 teenagers...and I have loved being their mother. Yes, it has its moments but they are actually fun. We laugh alot and battle sometimes but so far so good. Of course, my two non-teenage children are perfection...:) I am grateful to be a mother.

4. I didn't think at my age that I would still need my parents as much as I do. It is obviously a different kind of dependency but still very strong. I love being able to talk out gospel questions with my dad and share my new favorite scripture passage with him. I love having the relationship with my mom that we never had when I was a cold-hearted teenager :). I value their opinions more than I ever have, and constantly ask myself "what would my dad or mom do in this situation?" I still want to be just like my mom when I grow up. I am grateful to be their daughter.

5. Number 5  is the most surprising of all this year. Over the past 2 years, I have immersed myself in learning about the establishment of this great country we live in. I have read our founding documents, and read of Washington, Jefferson, Adams, and Franklin. My heart aches for a return to the principles upon which we were founded and for leaders who emulate the great founders.  I love the United States of America. I feel so privileged to live here and I feel a responsibility to help preserve its freedom. I am grateful for my country.

That's it. Just a short list. But I am owning it!!! Happy Thanksgiving to you- 
remember, it's more than just pies made with real sugar!!!  
( I have to keep reminding myself of that!)