Saturday, January 1, 2011

A Better New Year's Resolution.

     At our last stake conference, Sister Julie B. Beck spoke to us. She told us that as she pondered and prayed about what message to share, she felt that it was two-fold and almost seemed contradictory.  The message was "you are doing better than you think you are," and "you can do better."  As I pondered her words, I realized that this message was not confusing to me at all. I feel like the Lord tells me this all of the time. There are so many things that I don't give myself credit for. Many things that I am faithful  in and take for granted. I need to be more generous in my praise for what I am doing well. However, there are many things in which I have settled for mediocrity ...things that I could be doing better. So, my New Year's resolutions are summed up in just one word: BETTER.
By using the concept of "better" as a lens through which I see what I do and who I am,  I hope to become:

A better visiting teacher
A better mother
A better sister
A better housekeeper
A better disciple
A better listener
A better temple worshiper
A better scripture student

You get the idea.

 Is it too much to work on all at once? Some people subscribe to the theory of working on just one thing at a time.
But I'm not trying to be perfect in any of these areas...just better.
It's not to say that who I am and what I do right now is not valuable,
I can just do better.

Happy New Year.