Sunday, May 8, 2011

I Am A Great Mom.

One of my greatest struggles is feeling like I am doing a good job of mothering these crazy kids that are in my charge. With the constant busyness of our lives, it seems like so many things are slipping through the cracks. I am trying to focus on doing the basics well, but that still leaves alot of things only getting a fraction of the attention that they deserve. Satan tells me the same lies at 45, that he told me at 35, and 25, and 15. That I don't measure up, that I'll never be enough no matter what it is I am doing. In the past, I have fallen for that lie big time. In the present, part of me still hangs on to it..In the temple, I am taught over and over who I am and what my potential is. What Heavenly Father has chosen to reveal in plain and clear language are the amazing blessings He has in store for those who keep their covenants with Him. I believe Him. I know my worth to Him. And yet sometimes, in weaker moments, I doubt that I am as capable as He knows I am. Last week in particular, I was having a really bad week. I felt like I was running on empty- my house was never clean, I was in the car running kids places every spare minute, and I was depleted. One morning I was getting ready for work and I felt like I just couldn't bear another day of being a underachieving mom. I had just a few minutes before I had to leave and so I knelt down to say a few words to Heavenly Father. I told Him that I knew that He thought I was a great mom but I didn't know why. I really, honestly, didn't know why and I needed some help to get through the day. Within minutes, he led me to this quote by a woman I didn't know:

"Being a good mom takes A LOT of work. I am not a perfect Mom, but I am a great Mom because I try. This year I have been late to pretty much everything. Including school. I have at all times nine loads of laundry to be washed, and only a few items hanging in each closet. My downstairs and upstairs are never clean at the same time, and I am in constant fear that I will die and the Relief Society will come and clean my house and know "the truth." We are the only family on the block that have their trash cans out a day after the trash man came. All these things used to bug me and embarrass me and make me feel just horrible, until last month. I read something and I realized that while my days are absolutely exhausting and overwhelming at times, and while I feel like I can't keep up, I am still an incredible Mom because I keep doing it and I'M the one doing it. My perfection comes in my imperfection. I'm doing EXACTLY what I should be doing. Exactly what Heavenly Father wants me to be doing. I don't think he cares so much if my bathrooms are spotless. So much as if I'm taking care of "his" children."

My heart just cracked wide open. This is why I am a great mom, because I just keep trying. My mothering doesn't look like anyone else's, and that is okay. It is me.


I love my own mom. She is a great mom in her own right and I wish I had appreciated her more when I was young. I am so blessed that she is the woman who raised me.


I love my Heavenly Father.  I love that He will sometimes lovingly answer my prayers immediately. I never doubt that He knows me and loves me.


And at the risk of sounding a little arrogant, I know that I am a great mom.


Happy Mothers Day.