Saturday, December 17, 2016

Jesus First. Period. The End.

It might appear that I am a little worshipful of my religion teacher.
That's not really true.
I just value anything and anyone who helps point me to Christ--and he is so good at that.

Our last class of the semester was really emotional.
It was one of those where I needed to find a bathroom and have a good cry.
I didn't but I needed to.
We talked about Jesus and how He taught hard things.
Some of His teachings were soft and gentle and some were hard and uncomfortable.
Mercy and Justice.
That is who He is.
And our relationship with Him trumps everything.

We focused on Matthew 10:
 He that loveth his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
I am come to set mother against daughter. 
Hard words.
And I cried.

But I am learning to love Him more deeply as I persevere through heartache and heartbreak.
And I am learning that it's not God's job to keep me happy.
I get to live and experience hard things like the Savior did--but joy is a choice.
And a responsibility.

And so, as the semester, as well as the year, ends, it's been one of great lessons.
Painful lessons.
And joyful ones.
The best one of all is wrapped up in this quote from Bro. Bartholomew:

"Jesus first. Period. The end."



Shabbat Shalom.