Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A Letter To My Dad on the Day After His Birthday.

Dear Dad-

I know we just saw you, but we didn't get to spend a whole lot of time together...you know, you have an ice cream store and all.

But I have been thinking about something for awhile now and I kind of want to share it with you.
I am remembering a conversation we had 10 or 15 years ago. The timing of it and the reason for it escapes me, but I remember what you said to me. It went something like this:
"At my age Brenda, I don't expect to get much better than I am right now. I am pretty much who I am and I don't foresee any big changes. " 
It kind of made sense to me. You were valiant in your service to the church and your dedication to the Lord's work-a Dad anyone would be proud of.
But somehow in the last few years, between your devotion to the temple and the refining fire of your calling as a Patriarch, you have changed. There is a softness around you that I can only describe as someone who has truly put everything on the altar. Someone whose only desire is to do the will of the Lord.
And I love how everything temporal in your life has a spiritual purpose, for you, but mostly for your family.
Even your ice cream store.
I want you to know that of all the blessings in my life,
I count my goodly parents as one of the greatest.
My gratitude for the life you have led is inexpressible. It continues to bless me, but now, it especially blesses my children.

I love you.

Happy Birthday.

Brenda